Main Research Topics
The group is doing research in both mathematical modeling of biological systems and in
method development for the theoretical analysis of biological models. Some projects are also
specifically aimed at establishing a good interface between experiment, modeling and mathematical
Modeling is done for both procaryotic systems as well as signal transduction in mammalian cells.
Our theoretical research projects include direct support for the modeling as well as theoretical
analysis with applications to the models developed in the group.
- Model validation, parameter sensitivity
- Metabolic control/flux analysis
- Experimental design
- Hierarchical modeling, model reduction
- Bistability-preserving model reduction
- Analysis of feedback loops in biochemical networks
Research is also done to improve the interactions between the modeling and analysis fields.
- Glossary of Systems Biology with terms and definitions from biology and systems theory,
to ease communication in an interdisciplinary field.
- A Benchmark
Problem for Methods in Reverse Engineering and Model Discrimination
(Kremling et al., 2002).